getMethodName() *is* the utility routine.  I intended to stick it in the
base class for all of our business objects, so it would always be available.
If you're going to use it extensively, you might want to put it in a utility
class as a static method.  Either way, you can just concatenate the return
value with your error message.  Something like:

log.error("Method '" + getMethodName() + "' failed due to: " +
err.getMessage());

Share and enjoy!

The information contained in this message is confidential
proprietary property of Nelnet, Inc. and its affiliated
companies (Nelnet) and is intended for the recipient only.
Any reproduction, forwarding, or copying without the express
permission of Nelnet is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to this e-mail.