Hi Eric... again...I dont think its a bug...
Have you checked that the Servlet is setting the content length..... ie response.setContentLength(theByteLength);

This is the Javadoc comments from the actual Tomcat src code...
    * <p>The servlet container must write the headers before
    * committing the response, because in HTTP the headers must be sent
    * before the response body.
    *
    * <p>Where possible, set the Content-Length header (with the
    * [EMAIL PROTECTED] javax.servlet.ServletResponse#setContentLength} method),
    * to allow the servlet container to use a persistent connection
    * to return its response to the client, improving performance.
    * The content length is automatically set if the entire response fits
    * inside the response buffer.
    *
* <p>When using HTTP 1.1 chunked encoding (which means that the response * has a Transfer-Encoding header), do not set the Content-Length header.

Can you see what its saying... ie if you dont explicitly set setContentLength... its just luck whether you get it or not. Because the system will try maintain a keep alive.... IF IT FITS IN THE BUFFER.... theres a header... if not... the system cant work it out because when the buffer is full... it has to let it go... so as soon as it gets to that state **without** a "setContentLength"... its going to revert back to http 1.0 and close the connection.
... and it will not display the ContentLength header.

Can you see that even if the server could calculate it across multiple buffers... its no good... because the browser will already have the headers from the first buffer and servlet is still calculating!!

So... "are you sure" that your servlet has EXPLICITLY ***setContentLength(theByteLength);***

If its not your servlet... and you cant change it.... can you see the kludge... ie if you make the buffer size enormous... you will get headers, but that is really crap coding... if you can, fix the servlet source.

Can you post the servlet source?... I think the problem is there...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Deshayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>