The output of the log file should be information about hibernate, spring and
my development in the net.thefource package.
I have used this log4j.properties for a GUI application where it is working
fine and also by testing the server with JUnit all debug information are
displayed.
I am starting the tomcat with the startup.bat. Hence it is not a service.

A example for the GUI application would be:
14:07:25,500 () [INFO ] CollectionFactory (<clinit>) - JDK 1.4+ collections
available

marc

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,FILE
#ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} (%x) [%-5p]
%c{1} (%M) - %m%n
#FileAppender
log4j.appender.FILE=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.FILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.FILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} (%x) [%-5p]
%c{1} (%M) - %m%n
log4j.appender.FILE.File=${catalina.home}/logs/RPSSERVER.log
log4j.appender.FILE.File.MaxFileSize=1MB
# Keep one backup file
log4j.appender.FileApp.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.FileApp.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.FileApp.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} (%x) [%-5p]
%c{1} (%M) - %m%n

log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina=WARN, CONSOLE
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core=WARN, CONSOLE
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.session=WARN, CONSOLE

log4j.logger.net.thefource=DEBUG ,CONSOLE

log4j.logger.org.apache.commons=WARN, CONSOLE
log4j.logger.org.hibernate=INFO, CONSOLE
log4j.logger.org.hibernate.type=INFO, CONSOLE
log4j.logger.org.springframework=INFO, CONSOLE