Georg Sauer-Limbach wrote:
>> I do not think it is very obvious, that the response class is writing
>> the characters using the platform's default encoding in this case
>
> Yes. And this is true for many, many places in the
> Java library. Always watch out if you see some
> String being processed using a Stream.
Yes, in general I take care of that, but in this case:
The response (who knows what encoding I want) gives me a special stream
where I find a method println( String s ). Why on earth should they
guess a character encoding for character output then.
Nevertheless: they said what they did in the apidoc, so it must be okay.
Strange enough, that it worked correctly in older Tomcat versions.

> The ServletOutputStream shouldn't have all these
> print methods, at least not the one for String.
The word deprecated comes to my mind :-)

Cheers and thanks again,
        Heinz