Matt:
I got it working, and I think I figured this out. What I believe happens is
that the ClassNotFound Exception is a little misleading: the JOTM classes
ARE found, but the CommonsLogging class needed by the JOTM factory is NOT. I
believe we had a different version of the necessary jar in the classpath,
and ultimately just needed to make sure the commons-logging.jar was
"highest" in the classpath.

FYI, I did need to recompile using Java 1.6 the Carol jars (ow_carol.jar)
used by JOTM in order to avoid the RMI method exception (noted by several on
the JOTM list).