I’m experiencing some very erratic behavior in my local
development installation of Tomcat.  Here
is my setup:

Windows XP SP2

Tomcat 6.0.13 (had been using Tomcat 5.5.20 and was
experiencing the same behavior)

Struts Web Application (I’ve had similar issues with the
manager app, so I’m convinced the problem is in Tomcat)

Firefox + Firebug for testing (I seem to experience it less
often in IE7, but that could just be my imagination)

1. Sometimes when I request a page I will get a dialog box
saying “You have chosen to open page.do which is a DO file”.  It seems like the
content type is being
screwed up.  When I save the file to see
the response, there is seemingly random data interspersed in the file, but it
is consistent after I do it again.  It
always starts with the first line saying “b1” and the last saying “0”.  At
different points in the file there are
groupings of characters like “d3d” and “3df”.
One time I had a similar problem loading the manager app.  It displayed with a
content type of
“text/plain”.  Here is some of what
displayed:

2000

<head>

chunkedDate: Fri, 18 May 2007 22:35:13 GMT

2. Sometimes everything in the page will load except for my
stylesheet.  When I check the response in
Firebug I notice that the response header has a Trasfer-Encoding of chunked and
the response just says “Loading …”.  When
it is successful there is no Transfer-Encoding value in the header.

3. Sometimes it will take a really long time to load certain
files in the page, always about 20.5 seconds.
One thing I noticed was that for these requests there were no response
headers, but the file always ends up loading fine.

I’m completely baffled by this behavior.  If anyone has even a hint of what
could be
wrong, I would be very grateful.

- Matt