Jessica Johnson wrote:
On 5/29/07, Rainer Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Jessica,

your information looks strange. You are talking about mod_jk 1.2.22, but
you present a configuration for mod_jk2, which is deprecated. mod_jk
will not work with this configuration, because mod_jk uses a very
different config syntax.

Strangely enough it did work - I don't know how.  But I changed configs to
the below in case that was part of the problem. Everything is still working
the same as far as I can tell.

I don't know if I need the load balancer since I only have one other
worker.  Will the load balancer affect performance?

workers.properties
# Define some properties
workers.apache_log="C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\logs"

That doesn't exist and will be ignored.

workers.tomcat_home="C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5"
workers.java_home="C:\Program Files\Java\jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10"
ps=\

Those three are generally not needed and will be ignored

# Define 2 workers, 1 real workers using ajp13, the last one being a
loadbalancing worker
worker.list=worker2, worker4

# Set properties for worker2 (ajp13)
worker.worker2.type=ajp13
worker.worker2.host=127.0.0.1
worker.worker2.port=8009
worker.worker2.lbfactor=1
worker.worker2.connection_pool_timeout=600
worker.worker2.socket_keepalive=1
worker.worker2.socket_timeout=60

Don't use a socket_timeout if you expect long waiting intervals, at least not on your first try.

# Set properties for worker4 (lb) which use worker2
worker.worker4.balance_workers=worker2

This will be ignored unless you add worker.worker4.type=lb

httpd.conf exerpt:

# Config for mod_jk
<IfModule !mod_jk.c>
 LoadModule jk_module "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/modules/mod_jk.so"
</IfModule>

JkWorkersFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 5.5
/conf/jk/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 5.5
/logs/mod_jk.log"
JkLogLevel    info

You can try JkLogLevel debug or even trace, once you can reproduce your problem with low load.

JkMount /*.jsp worker2
JkMount /*/servlet/ worker2
JkMount /jsp-examples/* worker2
JkMount /reporting/* worker2

Although I don't know your actual configs, I assume your problem happens
when requests take longer than 300 seconds, which is the default request
timeout with Apache. You can increase this with Apache Timeout
directive. You can measure response times by adding "%D" to your
LogFormat (microseconds response time).

I added
TimeOut 1200
KeepAliveTimeout 30

To the end of httpd.conf which didn't fix the original 503 problem.  I also
noticed that sometimes I don't get the error at all, but the html response
is incomplete.  I will experiment some with %D and see if I can learn more
about the problem.  In the meantime, I would appreciate any ideas you all
might have.

Good luck. BTW: usually there already is a Timeout directive in httpd.conf, so you might have now two ones with inconsistent values ...