How are extremely large web applications divided up into contexts (as I’d
imagine these applications don’t reside within just a single WAR)? Let’s say
you have different functional areas, like user registration, search, file
management, etc, could each of those be divided up into its own context, or
is that too fine-grained?

Do any of you manage applications that, while logically being "one"
application, are actually deployed to multiple contexts? If so, could you
share some of your experiences in doing this – the benefits and limitations:
not only with single sign-on (which Tomcat makes easy), but things like
session management, concurrency to the data layer, and things that I can’t
even think of…

Or is dividing up one WAR into multiple WARs or the other way around as
simple as cutting and pasting the appropriate JSPs/Servlets/JavaBeans and
tweaking the web.xml files accordingly? I’d imagine there’s much else that
needs to be watched out for.

Thanks.