Desired State:
When users access secure J2EE apps via IIS 6.0 on port 80, they are
challenged, authenticated, authorized and presented with pages from a
secure application being served by Tomcat 5.5.15 server on port 8080
even though it appears they are still on port 80.

Problems:
Users are challenged by the browser to enter their credentials, but
cannot login when entering valid credentials.

* If we access the J2EE app via port 80 through IIS
  with security, we cannot access the J2EE app,
  users receive a 401 error message from Tomcat.

* If we access the J2EE app directly on port 8080
  with security, the user may login without a problem
  and access the J2EE app.

* If the J2EE app doesn't have security setup in the
  web.xml file, the redirect from IIS to Tomcat works
  just fine.

* If the J2EE app has security setup in the web.xml
  then the redirect does not work and the user cannot
  log into the J2EE app.

* There are no ACLs setup in IIS

* IIS logs the 401 errors, but there are no errors in any
  of the Tomcat logs even when we bump up the logging
  in Tomcat to "trace"

Systems in use:
* Tomcat 5.5.15 (running on port 8080)
* IIS 6.0 using Integrated Windows Authentication, (running on port
80)
* isapi_redirect.dll version 1.2.22.0
* Active Directory 2003 R1

Suspicions:
Possibly the redirection of the user with the isapi_redirect.dll is the
issue.  Credentials are not handed off from IIS to Tomcat.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

- Brian.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain highly
sensitive and confidential information. It is intended only for
the individual(s) named. If you received this e-mail in error
or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you,
do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.