From: mélanie langlois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:07 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: tomcat not loading log4j properties

Hello,

I'm using tomcat 5.0.28 on windows, and I do not obatin the logs for my
application. I probably do something wrong in my configuration, but couldn't
figure out why, even after checking tomcat doics and mailing list.

Here is my configuration:

-in my server.xml, I have the following:
<Engine defaultHost="localhost" name="Catalina" jvmRoute="tomcat_dev">
      <Host appBase="webapps" name="localhost"  autoDeploy="true"
unpackWARs="true" deployOnStartup="true" >
prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
      </Host>
prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"/>
    </Engine>

I copied the log4j.jar and commons-looging.jar under tomcat-home/common/lib
I put a log4j.xml under tomcat/common/classes/log4j.properties (see
root_log4j.properties attached)
I put a log4j.properties under webapp/myapp/WEB_INF/classes/log4j.properties
(see myapp.properties)

I start tomcat using catalina.bat : catalina start. I can see some output in
the console. There is aloaso a localhost_date.txt created under log folder,
but this contains only the servlet logs. Myapp.log and jrc.log are not
created at all, and I do not see any log from my webapp in the console.
Also, teh first time I logged a message from my Servlet, I had an error
saying that there was no log4j property configire. To fix that, I loaded the
log4j.properties file in my class. This does fix the error, but I can not
see any logs from my java classes anywhere...

I really don't have any idea of what's happening here, does anyone has an
idea ?

Thanks,

Mélanie