That's what I was missing, thank you. Although I think adding a reference to this in the mod_jk configuration might be helpful? Say somewhere in the page:

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/loadbalancers.html

Rainer Jung wrote:
Concerning the load balancer worker: you need to set jvmRoute in server.xml on your Tomcat servers. The value of the respective jvmRoute has to be wrkr1 and wrkr2.

This will add that string to the session id (JSESSSIONID cookie or jsessionid= URL part) and mod_jk strips it from there to learn, where the sticky request should go to.

Regards,

Rainer