Hi David
Thanks for further engaging this with me.
Yes, I am creating the file in an Action, dropping it in the tmpdir and reading
it with a jsp that calls a servlet that reads the parameters and displays.

What I find odd is everything works perfectly when executed from
localhost:8080...  However fails when accessed from a domain setup to pass
*.do, *.jsp through modjk to TC.

I know for a fact, from the timestamp and opening the file that Action is
creating the file correctly, the servlet is just not finding it...when accessed
from a domain/modjk.  But again it works, inscrutably, perfectly when accessed
from localhost on the same server.  I can even simultaneously switch between it
succeeding on localhost and failing on domain multiple times with the same
running instance of TC.

Or is there a better way to create a tmpdir  and random file under the webapp.
I am loathe to do that as I want to keep it possible for the admin to just
delete the files in the root \temp or make it a task.  I dont want to get
access into the webapp.

David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: In the code below, let's just ignore the
logic for the string 'tempdir'
... looks like noise to me as it isn't used in the creation of a file.

The call to create the temp file looks good and should store it in the
path specified by java.io.tmpdir.  You can write out the system property
to see where your files are going ... by default I think it's usually
the system temp.  My install of tomcat 5.5 as a service explicitly set's
it to the temp directory within the tomcat folder.  You can look for it
in your .bat files by looking for -Djava.io.tmpdir=

Could you expand on this image tag generation?  Looks like you are
attempting to generate a temp image in a jsp and keep it long enough to
return it via servlet.  Those are two separate requests (page and image)
and it may already be gone by the time the client requests the image
itself if that's the case.

--David