"Andrei Tchijov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>I understand. My problem it twofold. In order to make an  authentication
>decision ...
> - I need to have an access to some information from HTTP Request,
> - I need to be able build HTTP Response (basically, I need to be  able to
> issue challenge in response to authentication request).
> As I stated in my original post, I think that right place to put this
> kind of functionality is authenticator. My original question was, if  it
> is possible to register new Authenticator without re-compiling  Tomcat.

Yes, it is possible.  You just create your own Authenticator class (probably
extending Tomcat's AuthenticatorBase and implementing the authenticate
method).  Then you do:
   <Context ......>
       <Valve className="com.myfirm.mypackage.MyAuthenticator" .... />
   </Context>
This will cause Tomcat to use your Authenticator instead of one of it's own.