Ben, what is it exactly that you see, does it continue to use a different dB?
Or perhaps it doesnt pick up a table modification?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Stringer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:06 AM
Subject: Clean webapp redeploy with tomcat down

Hi all,

I am running tomcat 5.5 on linux (RHEL 4), IBM JDK 1.4.2 SR7, and see an
unusual behaviour that I am hoping is due to a gap in my knowledge.

When redeploying webapps, I have preferred a procedure where tomcat is
stopped, all database, LDAP connections from the app are observed to
have closed, a new webapp is deployed, then tomcat is restarted, and
automatically unpacks the new WAR.

However I have seen cases where setting from the previous WAR (usually
these are changed JDBC strings) are maintained in the new deployment. I
have modified the procedure to also remove the "temp" and "work"
directories whilst tomcat is down, but still see the same behaviour.

Is there some other place the JDBC strings from the previous webapp
would be cached? The problem does not occur if the webapp is deployed on
a running tomcat, and this is a reasonable solution, however I'd like to
understand why the procedure with tomcat stopped has this issue.

Appreciate any insights.

Thanks, Ben