From: Michael Jouravlev [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:56 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: What is Tomcat 6 status?

Tomcat 6 status is not quite clear from Tomcat website. I want to use
the latest possible release because we need to lock on; upgrading
later down the road would incur administrative complications.

Tomcat 6 docs page says that "Apache Tomcat version 6.0 implements the
Servlet 2.5 and JavaServer Pages 2.1 specifications", how complete
this implementation is? Should I assume that because build 6.0.13 is
not explicitly marked as alpha or beta, it is a stable build?

"Which version" page does not really clear things up, even more,
Tomcat 5 seems like the best choice since it is stable and relatively
up-to-date. Entries for Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 3 recommend to upgrade to
Tomcat 5, but not to Tomcat 6.

To summarize, I would prefer a most recent yet relatively stable
version. From administrative point of view, it is much simpler to
upgrade to a next point version than to a next major release, so I
would rather start using v. 6 if it is stable enough. Any advice? I
searched Tomcat mailing list for "Tomcat 6 status" and did not find
anything specific.

Also, do I have to download JSTL implementation libs separately? Saw
these libs in webapp samples folder. Any reason why these are not
included as standard libs? I understand that JSTL is just a spec, but
servlets and JSPs are specs as well. The whole point in Tomcat that it
_implements_ SRV and JSP specs. Why JSTL is not implemented by
default?

Also, what is up with JSF support? tomcat/lib directory does not
provide even interface libs for JSF. Not that I am going to use JSF, I
just wanted to find out what the status is. RELEASE-NOTES in the
download zip file do not help much.

Thanks,
    Michael.