are you initializing variables for each column in the DB, or likely not if
you're using that array approach?

-----Original Message-----
From: PTS [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:33 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Null

In several of the fields of the database the information is not entered
until a later time and thus the field is null. If you look at actual data
the value is null. When returned the data either is "null" or is not
compatible with the data needed back. I am using the data in several areas.
If I am expecting a String and it is null, then I want an empty string to be
displayed. If I am expecting a number then I want a 0 if it is null. If the
data returned is not of the type expected then I catch the exception and
return the equivalent of no information for that data type.

As for the String[], I am pulling back an entire row from the database and
then picking a single element from the array. In essence it allows me to
treat the result set as a two dimensional array.

The concept that I was trying to convey to the OP was to do a try catch and
return the desired default value of the proper type.

Doug