From: Bill Barker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 3 July 2007 1:48 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: WEB.XML file parsing

"Andrew Friebel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>I apologise for my lack of information.  What you have given me has helped,
> however a new issue has arisen from it.
>
> I did turn off validation as per the other suggestion from my post.  This
> allowed me to parse the web.xml file, however, I still need to save the
> document declaration.  When you turn off validation, I was unable to
> rebuild
> DTD reference.  Just a note for others who are watching this post.
>
> I am running Java 1.6.0, and I am writing a standalone application.  I
> have
> inserted the code snippet as suggested into my SAX parser (using xerces):
>
>    public InputSource resolveEntity(String pubid, String sysid) throws
> IOException{
>
>        if("-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
> 2.3//EN".equals(pubid)) {
>             InputStream is =

this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResourceAsStream("/javax/servlet/resourc
> es/web-app_2_3.dtd");
>             return new InputSource(is);

Looking at Tomcat's EntityResolver for parsing web.xml, it looks like this
should probably be:
              URL resource =
this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResource("/javax/servlet/resources/web-a
pp_2_3.dtd");
               return new InputSource(resource.toExternalForm());

>        }
>        return null;
>   }
>
> I had to add 'this.getClass().' in front of 'getClassLoader()' from your
> snippet.  If I didn't I would get a compilation error - 'Method
> getClassLoader() is undefined'
>

> My parser sets the entity resolver (note: the class WebXmlParser extends
> 'DefaultHandler'):
>
> public WebXmlParser(StringBuffer tmpIS)
> {

System.setProperty("org.xml.sax.driver","org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
> ");
>
> try {
>
>    // Create SAX 2 parser...
>    XMLReader xr = XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader();
>
>    xr.setEntityResolver(this);
>    // Set the ContentHandler...
>    xr.setContentHandler( this );
>
>    try{
>    xr.parse(new InputSource(new
> StringReader(tmpIS.toString())));
>    }catch(Exception e){
>    e.printStackTrace();
>    strError = e.getMessage();
>    }
>
> }catch ( Exception e )
> {
> e.printStackTrace();
>    strError = e.getMessage();
> }
>
> }
>
> I now get the following stack trace:
>

> java.net.MalformedURLException
> at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.setupCurrentEntity(Unknown Source)
> at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startEntity(Unknown
> Source)
> at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startDTDEntity(Unknown
> Source)
> at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDTDScannerImpl.setInputSource(Unknown
> Source)
> at

org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$DTDDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown