It sounds to me like you need to refactor your apps.  Your portlets should use
a business delegate to request your business logic functions.  The business
delegate should in turn call a session façade to perform the requested actions.
 This provides a clean separation between your application and business logic,
and you can experiment with the linkage between the BD and SF to improve
performance (maybe start with web services, as they're likely to be the least
troublesome, then move to RMI if the performance isn't good enough).
The information contained in this message is confidential
proprietary property of Nelnet, Inc. and its affiliated
companies (Nelnet) and is intended for the recipient only.
Any reproduction, forwarding, or copying without the express
permission of Nelnet is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to this e-mail.