<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>I have a simple question related to the coyote connector.  That is, `Is
>coyote similar to a composition protocol framework coyote
>(http://www.cs.arizona.edu/projects/coyote/) does?'

The Apache-Tomcat coyote is much more restricted than the arazona.edu
coyote.  In Tomcat, Coyote is an abstraction of the HTTP/1.1 protocol only,
that is agnostic to the transport protocol and wire-protocol that is used
(i.e. it would be in theory possible to write a ProtocolHandler to work over
FTP using sockets, or to write one that uses JNI or unix-sockets with say
AJP/1.3 (which actually exist in Tomcat, but aren't really supported)).  So
as a result, it isn't really suited for things like multicasting.

> I read some document on the internet. For instance,
> http://www.wellho.net/downloads/A651.pdf illustrates that coyote is a
> protocol handler, handling web issues.  It seems like they has the same
> purpose, though one is proposed by the Arizona university, the other by
> apache.org.
>
> Can I say that coyote (of tomcat) is also a kind of composition protocol
> framework?

No, it isn't a composition protocol framework (but individual implementation
may be).  It is a very simple framework that is intended to transform some
protocol's request into an HTTP/1.1 request, and to translate the HTTP/1.1
reponse back into the same protocol's response.  I'd suggest that you browse
the javadocs on tomcat.apache.org for the org.apache.coyote package to learn
more.