Depends on what the users are doing when they hit your application. If
the are storing lots of data in the session then you'll need enough
ram to hold all the expected data. If they are uploading files, i
would imagine that you will need to have enough ram to hold the
uploaded file before you stream it to disk or database. Although
Tomcat might be smart? and store the uploaded files to disk, the
tomcat guru's will have an answer to this.

Saying all that is the Essbase app an inhouse app or a 3rd party one,
if its 3rd party one then maybe they can give you some min
requirements.

To set the virtual machines heap size you can uses the -Xms -Xmx
params. Go here [1] for info on the vm.

The bottom line is, you need to understand what your app is going to
do to work out what hardware your going to need.

[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/hotspot/index.jsp