Ok I have used wireshark and see that the request is sent to the
apache httpd. The next first packet i get back contains the
following...

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:57:25 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.4 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_jk/1.2.23

<!--Rail Timestamp:

-->

<!--Generated by Journeycheck
4.0-RC5
on host
jc-pres2.nexusalpha.com
-->
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>

.<head>
..<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"/>
..<meta http-equiv="expires" content="0"/>
..<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache"/>
..<meta http-equiv="pragma" content="nocache"/>
..<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us"/>
..<meta content="Nexus Alpha:Andrew Langmead, Ben Short, Lawrence
Chan" name="author"/>
..<meta content="journey check,rail,journey,nexus
alpha,plan,disruption,transport,trains" name="keywords"/>
..<meta content="Allows you to check your journey with a particular
rail company" name="description"/>
..<!--<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"CONTENT="10;
URL=http://www.jcheck.com/firstcapitalconnect/";>-->
..
..<link href="/resources/common/web/css/common.css" rel="stylesheet"
type="text/css"/>
..<!--<script type="text/javascript" src="/resources/common/web/javascript

Which is whats being shown in the browser, if i view the source.

Next I see more packets that say 'Continuation or non-HTTP traffic'
in the Info column of wireshark. When I look at the byte output I can
see that its the rest of the page.

If i use wireshark to view the same request with the webapp started I
dont see the initial HTTP/1.1 200 OK packet, so i assume that each
packet contains the correct headers for chunking to work correctly.

So it seams that im getting a dodgy content length in the first packet
if the request goes to the stoppped webapp first. Or infact the whole
chunking thing is not working correctly.