I can start Tomcat  with the HotSpot VM using the -server JVM option in
startup.bat. But when I try to start Tomcat as a service with the -server
option in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Apache Software
Foundation->Procrun 2.0->PortalServer->Parmeters->Java->Options it won't
start. The event log is vague: "The Apache Tomcat PortalServer service
terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0)."

I can add other JVM options to the "Options" value such as -XX:NewSize,
-XX:MaxNewSize, etc., and it starts without problem. But the -server option
kills it.

Is there a specific key value for the -server option?

Using:
Windows 2003 Server
Tomcat 5.0.28
jdk1.5.0_09