I am going to install Tomcat standalone (not fronted by Apache) on a
Linux box that will eventually be opened up to small portion of the
outside world.

I am a developer and as such haven't ever done anything with Tomcat
except install the binaries on my Windows machine and run it locally for
development purposes.

A coworker claims that all unix admins should never install open source
binaries. They should build using the source.

Looking for a concensus. Is it ok to install the Tomcat binaries or
should I build using the Tomcat source then install? Reasons why?

Thanks!

Nick