Hi,

Len Popp wrote:
> I'm not sure the topic is ready to be nailed shut just yet...

Oh, i have no objections keeping it alive. Unfortunately my java skills
are limited so reporting and testing is the best i can do to help.

> The problem is due to the way Tomcat converts pathnames to URLs when
> it uses URLClassLoader. Tomcat calls the method File.toURL and that
> fails when there's a "#" in the pathname. But the Javadoc for
> File.toURL suggests a workaround: Convert the pathname to a URI first,
> then to a URL.

thanks for your confirmation. Looking through bugs.sun.com this seems to
be an inherent behaviour with reports starting in 1999. So fixing it in
Tomcat would be great, but i'm hesitating calling it a "bug" from
Tomcats POV - more a feature request.

@Len: Do you have a (javadoc)link for this workaround/suggestion? thx!

> I tried that (in ClassLoaderFactory) and it seem to fix the
> classloader problem. Tomcat starts up fine - but it can't compile any
> JSPs. So there are other components of Tomcat that have similar
> problems.

I tried something with a similar result. Just moved CATALINA_HOME to
some non-#-directory but left CATALINA_BASE as it was. This way Tomcat
started but webapplications could not be deployed/did not work.

> So, my advice is to see how hard it would be for you to get the #s out
> of your pathnames. That may be easier than fixing Tomcat.

I'm just waiting for some feedback from sun but avoiding #s in directory
and file names in the java world is probably the way to go. Otherwise
every java application must be forced to workaround this problem. And
the latter is more work - if possible at all - than getting rid of #s.

kind regards,
   Markus