Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Matthew Kerle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: tomcat memory realms & tomcat-users.xml

I've read the tomcat docs on memory realm: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html#MemoryRealm, and I want to expose the org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase class to the web service context via a <ResourceLink...>.

You probably don't want to do that (even if it's possible, which I
doubt), since all code in the webapps would then have access to the
credentials.

I'd like to be able to authenticate users without having to add a <security-constraint> to my web.xml, so that
unauthenticated clients can still connect.

URL patterns in the <security-constraint> allow you to control which
portions of the webapp are accessible to unauthenticated users.  If you
want something with finer granularity, a filter is probably appropriate.
Take a look at:
    http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/
for a popular one.

 - Chuck