I agree, the Principal interface is verily hobbled and almost useless (Go Sun!). The catalina implementations are much more user-friendly, but unfortunately difficult to access.

I can't really justify making the tomcat install non-standard (also probably not possible as it's owned by the client, not me) just to get access to this class. I'll go with another hack, in that although I can't refer directly to MemoryUser, I can still call it's toString() method, which prints out the <user> tag in it's entirety, which I can then munge for role names.

I can't believe something this simple is so hard, far out.

thanks so much for your help Peter, I would've been totally stuck without it!

Peter Crowther wrote:
From: Matthew Kerle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] the MemoryUser class is in catalina.jar, which is in the server/lib folder. would I be right in saying that web application code is barred from loading any classes from the server/lib directory?

(light bulb comes on)

Ah yes, I remember this now from some ancient history on another
project.  It's a real pain, principally because the Principal interface
is IMO too limited.  We ended up with the horrible, horrible hack of
pulling the class out of catalina.jar, putting it in its own jar, and
deploying that in common/lib.  This, of course, means you no longer have
a default Tomcat install... but we couldn't find another way round the
problem.

                - Peter

--
Matthew Kerle