Hi Rainer,

Thanks again for that great fix.  When I fired up Tomcat, I still get this
message:
Aug 16, 2007 9:53:05 AM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in
production environments was not found on the java.library.path:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.1/jre/lib/i386/client:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.1/jre/lib/i386:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.1/jre/../lib/i386:/usr/java/packages/lib/i386:/lib:/usr/lib

I read in a post that adding /lib and /usr/lib/ to the classpath would take
care of it, but I must be missing something else as well.  Any ideas?

Thanks again,
- Ole

Rainer Jung wrote:
Hi Ole,

when you tried against your installed APR most likely the dev rpm, which includes the necessary header files for compiltions where not installed.

When you tried against a BUILD directory, most likely the APR library need for linking was not there.

Whichever way you choose, you need a full APR. I guess it would be easiest to install the dev RPMs for apr and apr-util and then use the installed files for configuring tcnative.

Now after you installed the additional dev packages (those are *not* the src packages), you might want to check, where those packages installed their contents to, because you need to give a path to the --with-apr flag. You can check package install pathes for rpm with

rpm -q --filesbypkg PACKAGENAME

If your packages choose the default system instalation pathes, you should be able to build without the with-apr flag. If the RPMs choose a special installation dir, but are build nicely, you will have shell scripts apr-1-config as part of one of the RPMs and you can give with-apr the path to this file as parameter, which will tell configure about the pathes of libs and headers. Lastly if you don't have the config script, but libs and headers are in lib/ and include/ below some dir, this dir will be a code value for with-apr.

HTH.

Rainer

Ole Ersoy wrote:
Hi Hassan,

I did the following:

rm -dfr tomcat-native-1.1.10-src/ tar xvfz tomcat-native.tar.gz
cd tomcat-native-1.1.10-src/jni/native
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apr --with-apr=/home/ole/rpmbuild/BUILD/apr-1.2.8/ && make && make install

And I still get:

le/rpmbuild/BUILD/apr-1.2.8/libapr-1.la -luuid -lcrypt -lpthread -ldl )
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lapr-1
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
libtool: install: error: relink `libtcnative-1.la' with the above command before installing it
make: *** [install] Error 1

Thoughts?

Thanks again,
- Ole