> But still when I open my browser and type http://localhost:8080/   I get HTTP
> Status 404 - / The requested resource (/) is not available.

What happens if you place an index.jsp file (with some contents ) in
C:\TomCat\webapps\ROOT\ ?

If the directory listing is set to false, and if there is no index.jsp
file under the web application's root folder then you'll see a 404
HTTP status.

So, if you place a small index.jsp under your webapplication's root
folder then you should be able to see the index.jsp's content --- if
all other settings are correct.

Or, set directory listing to true in Tomcat's web.xml .

> I'm a little stumped because I have done every possible thing that TomCat has
> given in the troubleshooting section of their documentation and also I have
> uninstalled JDK and TomCat on a couple of machines but still the same
> response. So it must be something I'm doing wrong, but I have no idea what it
> is. I have tried numerous of combinations and even tried fresh machines.
>
> Any Thoughts would be appreciated

-Rashmi