On 8/23/07, David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just to nip this one early before the discussion strays too far, curl is
> NOT a hacking tool.  It's just a command line http client useful in all
> sorts of linux/unix OS scripts.

Yep, I understand what curl is now ... spent some time on the relevant
website reading up about it. I never actually suggested it was a
hacking tool, I was unsure what it was and was asking for relevant
exp' from the uses of this list, and as is often the case
users@tomcat.apache.org delivered the goods.

> To determine if it's being used to probe your site, you need to pay
> attention to WHAT is being requested.  The brief sample offered by the
> OP was actually very benign (no weird escape sequences or attempts to
> access a binary executable).

Although ... depending on what you consider hacking it certainly seems
like it could easily be used to run a crude DOS attack (for example)
simply by writing a shell script with a loop in it, like many other
otherwise benign applications out there I'm sure.

Anyway, what this has taught me is to pay much more attention to the
logs over and above checking out the webalizer pages once a day and to
understand what is being requested as well as by what (and by whom)...
oh yes, and to dredge up what I used to know about iptables (or was
that ipchains) as well, good tip.

So, a success than, and none of this is EVER a waste of time IMHO.

Many thanks
Duncan