Thanks for all your help, I found out the problem. It was the service privilege running under the local machine. The default tomcat icon at the bottom of the screen that allows you to configure and start/stop tomcat would not let me change the user it ran under. However, I was able to change the user to Administrator under the windows services window and I can start and stop tomcat there as well.

Again, thanks for your quick responses, got me out of a tight Jam.

Dan Gross, ATLC

Mark Thomas wrote:

Daniel L. Gross wrote:
I have a servlet that does a direct read from a mapped drive in
Windows.  It works fine in tomcat as long as I use a drive on the local
machine.  However, I need to access a mapped drive on a different
machine.  When I run the program, I get a FileNotFound error in JAVA and
(access denied) next to it.  Is there some permissions that need to be
set so my servlet can access a file on another machine.  And how do I
set this in Tomcat/JAVA.

Thanks,  Dan Gross ATLC

This comes down to the Windows user Tomcat is running as. You need to
make sure that that user has the necessary access to the network drives.

If you are running as a service, the default user for services has
zero privs on other machines. Usually what is required is to configure
the service to log on as a domain user that has the necessary access.

HTH,

Mark