If you consider what a session actually is, its a connection between a client and server, then you will understand that until that connection is actually broken and the server reclaims those resources there will still be a session/connection. Thus, session invalidate marks a session as expired and waits for the server to clean up, it does not destroy and remove the session.

Peter

Justin Madex wrote:
Good Afternoon,

I recently took note of the "Session"s counter on the Tomcat Web Application Manager for one of the applications that i have deployed to the server and the fact that the counter never decreases until the session times out.

Despite the fact that my application calls Session.invalidate when the user logs out, the session counter never decreases.

Could anyone give me some information around this counter and why it doesnt decrease when you invalidate the session.

Thanks
Kind Regards

Justin Madex