On 8/29/07, Caldarale, Charles R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The biggest problem with CLASSPATH is that it tends to be set and then
> forgotten, causing classloading problems during subsequent Java
> executions.  The resulting confusion (especially if it involves the
> wrong version of a class, rather than just a CNFE) can take ages to
> figure out.  It's clearer for everyone involved to specify the exact
> path needed on the command line when starting a Java application.
> Tomcat is just one example of why CLASSPATH shouldn't be used: we've had
> numerous discussions on this list when noobs thought they were "helping"
> Tomcat by specifying all sorts of JAR files via the CLASSPATH variable -
> all of which resulted in disaster, of course.

No kidding.  I was always told that Tomcat ignored the CLASSPATH and
not to use it.  Maybe that is one of those white lies they tell
newbies to alleviate problems? :)

I am not totally new to the Java environment, but I am always looking
for the 'best practice' or the 'industry standard' way of doing
things.  I haven't had many opportunities to write client side
applications with it, so I never really had to muck with CLASSPATH too
much.

thanks for your time

-- brian