Here's the case where three credentials are necessary: there is a requirement
to host multiple applications on a single database, and data such as users
are in a single, shared table. Therefore, someone logging into app A would
enter username and password of user1 and pass1, and someone else logging
into app B could also enter username as password user1 and pass1, but still
be two separate entities.

In the single database, the authentication table would have [User,Pass,App]
as (user1,pass1,A), and (user1,pass1,B), which are two different and
unrelated records.

So even though the users are only entering two credentials into their
respective applications' user interfaces, the application itself
authenticates with Tomcat using three credentials. How could I make this
work?

The requirement doesn't accept having two tables (i.e. userTableA and
userTableB), partly because increased maintenance, the possibility of table
definitions going out of sync, etc.

Thanks.