My vote goes to appliance, but Filip is completely correct, this is a budget
based decision.

The higher up in your architecture you deal with SSL the better in my
experience.  (especially in stateless farms)

I would look into L2 caching (like EHCache + Hibernate or Terracotta) if you
decide to build a LB yourself.

Good luck

Dwayne