Sounds like your legal department is worried that if the technology team screws up they will not have anyone to blame.  If you really want to have someone else do your set up and implementations then you need to find a consulting firm that was that type of clause in their contract.  (See http://www.covalent.com/ etc...)  Other than laying responsibility at the feet of those that complete your project, there is no legal precedence for suing an open source product.  It is 100% downloader beware....

  -JL

  Quoting "Irvine, Chuck R [EQ]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I hope no one thinks this thread is off topic....

There are many in the company I work for that would like to leverage
open source software in general and and Tomcat in particular. However,
our legal staff resists the idea because of perceived legal risks. I
know that there are companies who provide indemnification as part of
their open source support products, but I wonder to what extent such
indemnification is really necessary. Could those that have experience or
knowledge in this area please comment? Thanks

Chuck