Tomcat wraps HttpSession objects underlying maps using
java.util.Collections.synchronizedMap. There was a
previous issue in a version of Tomcat 5.0.x something
in which this was changed, and it raised a stink, so
it was fixed again. It had to be put back to use
synchronized as the concurrency issues caused such
headaches the developer had no way to manage this from
an application perspective. I can't imagine Tomcat
would have calls which are not synchronized to pull a
session back from storage either. The user certainly
would not have any control over such a thing as JSP
session access can not be wrapped easily by developers
using normal synchronization techniques. Are you
having some specific issue?

Wade