Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a web application which uses Java Persistence with Tomcat 6.0. I had googled and searched a lot of mailing lists but I didn't found a response for my doubts.

My application uses JSF 1.2 from Sun's RI, some of the managed-beans defined at that application have a reference to a EntityManager using the PersistenceContext annotation. This application has been tested using Glassfish and it works perfectly. Testing the same application (with all necessary jar files) with Tomcat throws an exception: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: The name java:comp is not associated to this context. This is how my config files look like:

context.xml:
<Context path="/benedetti-gestion" reloadable="true">

<Resource name="jdbc/benedetti" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
       maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
username="benedetti" password="nsh67eTds" driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
       url="jdbc:postgresql://193.168.3.2:5432/benedetti"
   />

</Context>

persistence.xml:

<persistence xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence";
xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd";
   version="1.0">
<persistence-unit name="benedetti" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
       <provider>
           oracle.toplink.essentials.PersistenceProvider
       </provider>
       <non-jta-data-source>jdbc/benedetti</non-jta-data-source>
       <class>benedetti.gestion.entity.Cliente</class>
       <class>benedetti.gestion.entity.Expediente</class>
       <class>benedetti.gestion.entity.Factura</class>
       <class>benedetti.gestion.entity.LineaFactura</class>
   </persistence-unit>
</persistence>

web.xml:
<resource-ref>
       <res-ref-name>jdbc/benedetti</res-ref-name>
       <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
   </resource-ref>

   <persistence-context-ref>
<persistence-context-ref-name>jpa/benedetti</persistence-context-ref-name>
       <persistence-unit-name>benedetti</persistence-unit-name>
   </persistence-context-ref>

I'm configuring the injection of the entity manager as following:

@PersistenceContext(unitName = "benedetti",
           name = "java:comp/jpa/benedetti")
   private EntityManager em;

About JNDI names, I tried names

Almost all I found in the web about this issue is about Tomcat 5.5. There is said in many places that Tomcat 5.5 should be treated as a JSE environment so no dependency injection of "EntityManager" nor "EntityManagerFactory" is possible. But, what about Tomcat 6 ?

I did take a look to the DefaultAnnotationProcessor class at "org.apache.catalina.util" and seems to me that class performs dependency injection based on the kind of annotation found.

My question is: Can I use entity manager injection with Tomcat 6 or do I need to perform a bootstrap using the Persistence class like in Tomcat 5.5 ?

Regards,
Alonso