From: "Arend P. van der Veen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: PHP Security Vulnerability???

Joseph Millet wrote:
you've must have got a phpinfo() page running somewhere ....
you can grep your www directory for that one ...

JJ

On 9/12/07, Arend P. van der Veen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Wade Chandler wrote:
Does it give you any paths to this PHP application? I haven't seen
anything like it from scanners
on my server.

Wade

--- "Arend P. van der Veen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

I recently setup a server using Tomcat 5.5 on FreeBSD 6.2.  I thought
had everything locked down.

I run a nessus scan and found a strange Vulnerability.  It says that
states:
The remote web server contains a PHP application that is affected by
multiple vulnerabilities.

I am not using PHP.  Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Arend

Hi Wade,

I have tomcat sitting on 127.0.0.1:8080 (http) and 127.0.0.1:8081
(https) and use ipfw to forward from port 80 and 443 respectively.
Could
this part of my problem?  I am wondering if this is some kind of false
positive.  Following is an excerpt from the Nessus Scan Report:

Synopsis :

The remote web server contains a PHP application that is affected by
multiple vulnerabilities.

Description :

The remote host is running phpSysInfo, a PHP application that parses
the /proc entries on Linux/Unix systems and displays them in HTML.

The installed version of phpSysInfo on the remote host has a design
flaw in its globalization layer such that the script's variables can
be overwritten independent of PHP's 'register_globals' setting. By
exploiting this issue, an attacker may be able to read arbitrary files
on the remote host (if PHP's 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting is off) and
even execute arbitrary PHP code, both subject to the privileges of the
web server user id.

In addition, the application fails to sanitize user-supplied input
before using it in dynamically-generated pages, which can be used to
conduct cross-site scripting and HTTP response splitting attacks.

See also :

http://www.hardened-php.net/advisory_222005.81.html

Solution :

Upgrade to phpSysInfo 2.4.1 or later.

Risk factor :

Low / CVSS Base Score : 2.3
(AV:R/AC:L/Au:NR/C:N/I:P/A:N/B:N)
CVE : CVE-2003-0536, CVE-2005-0870, CVE-2005-3347, CVE-2005-3348
BID : 7286, 15396, 15414
Nessus ID : 20215

Hi,

This turned out to be a false positive.

I use /cgi-bin as a url-pattern for a servlet mapping:

     <servlet-mapping>
         <servlet-name>ProxyServlet</servlet-name>
         <url-pattern>/cgi-bin/*</url-pattern>
     </servlet-mapping>

I essentially was sending references to cgi-bin to apache listening on
the loopback.  I also set a security-constraint for this url-pattern.
Finally, I set the login-conf to form based authentication.  When Nessus
tried to access URL such s /cgi-bin/phpinfo.pgp it returned an http
error of 200 even though it did not exist.  Not sure why.  But Nessus
assumed that the 200 meant that it existed.  When I switched the login
configuration to basic authentication the problem went away.  This had
something to do with form based authentication.

A finally found that if a simply changing the URL binding to from
cgi-bin to xyz.  Now with form based authentication everything works.

Thanks,
Arend

Hi Martin,

I can supply you a couple of things:

1.  Tomcat access logs showing the Nessus attack that generated the problem.
2. A detailed description of my configuration that generated the error and what I did to fix it.
3.  A sample app that generates the problem.
4.  All of the above.

Please let me know what you want and I will forward it to you.

Thanks,
Arend