Thomas Schweikle wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How can I change the default application from the tomcat
> "ROOT/index.jsp" page to an application installed in
> "$CATALINA_HOME/Catalina/localhost/app.xml"?
>
> I found the default application in "web.xml" and changed it from
>
>     <servlet-mapping>
>         <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>

>     <servlet-mapping>
>         <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/tomcat</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>

That's not going to help. You should probably put it back the way it
was.  That's the *default servlet* not the default application.

> For the web application I defined (in
> "$CATALINA_HOME/Cataline/localhost/app.xml"):
>
> <Context
>    path="/"
>    docBase="/opt/app"
>    debug="0"
>    reloadable="false">
>    <Logger
>       className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>       prefix="mywebapp."
>       suffix=".log"
>       timestamp="true"/>
> </Context>

That also is not going to work, mostly because you're changing the wrong
application.

> but after restarting tomcat it seemd not to have any effect: calling
> http://server:8080/tomcat did just not work and give back an error
> 404 - resource not available.

That's becau... see above.

> http://server:8080/ did work, but returned the tomcat default page.
> My own webapp was not reachable at all.
>
> Any idea what I am missing?

You've not stated which version of Tomcat you're using, and to hazard a
guess, you're missing some quality time spent in the company of the docs.

Reply with your server version and I'll talk you through it.