Quoting Peter Crowther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

What are you doing that doesn't just need a vanilla Tomcat?

Peter... I plan to have a box, and I just think about pro and cons...

I think tomcat stand alone is
-> easier to deploy.
And that's all.

I think apache as a front end is a more flexible and secure solution.
-> if apache fails, tomcat is not affected
-> if tomcat fails, apache can redirect request to another tomcat
-> when you serve static content juste like image of your site and all static text part , javascripts, etc ( i mean... dynamic content is often just an hour ticking at the top of the page!) apche can better handle the request and serve them quickier (with cache).

Am i wrong ? As i have currently nothing pre-installed on it... and it would be fine to know what you are thinking about it. You seem to be pro vanilla tomcat... But just let us know WHEN pure tomcat has to be choosen !
I need an expert point of view, so tell us about what you experienced !

Thanks :-)