Hi Larry,

Larry Reisler wrote:
We recently switched our development JBOSS instance from 4.05GA to
4.21GA, where we are have been using mod_jk for connecting an Apache
front end server (2.2) to the Tomcat AppServer. We have noticed

Would you mind telling us the JK version?

periodic times when the apache web server will return data with a
content-type of plain/text (the server default) instead of the real
content-type, and a chunked encoding (even if the AppServer was
producing a non-chunked content). We tried switch to mod_proxy_ajp,
but got the same result.

A bit of sleuthing (2 days X 2 engineers) revealed that the AJP
connection on Tomcat is sending a SEND_BODY_CHUNK (which I assume is
a flush packet) periodically that seem to be confusing mod_jk. We can
see in the mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp debug log that the correct
headers are coming from the Tomcat server. However, it seems like
mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp are losing all the header information
regarding the packet (including the Powered by headers, content-type,
content-length, cookies, etc.).

In normal operation, for a sample small transaction, we would see
this sequence in response: SEND_HEADERS SEND_BODY_CHUNK END_RESPONSE

When the output would come out as text/plain, we would see this
sequence: SEND_BODY_CHUNK SEND_HEADERS SEND_BODY_CHUNK END_RESPONSE

Is there something we should have configured differently so that
mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp will behave better?

I'll have to check, but I wouldn't be to surprised, if mod_jk expects SEND_HEADERS first. Could you please open an issue with bugzilla? That helps us keeping track.

There's no option at the moment, and I think we need to fix this. At the moment I'm not sure about where this needs fixing, in JK or in the AJP connector on the Tomcat side (or both).

It would be very helpful, if you could attach your JK debug log, the JK configuration and the Tomcat connector configuration to the bug entry. Is there a chance to get a simple reproduction case (small webapp)?

Regards,

Rainer