Our Tomcat 4.1.30 instance seems to hang about once a week. i.e. the application is unresponsive and it can not be restarted from the management console. Tomcat must be restarted to restore functionality. There is nothing in the logs to indicate explicitly what is going on. The only logging that may be diagnostic is what gets logged when we attempt to restart the hung application.

2007-09-27 10:49:55 HTMLManager: restart: Reloading web application at '/OWEB' 2007-09-27 10:49:55 StandardContext[/OWEB]: Reloading this Context has started 2007-09-27 10:49:55 StandardWrapper[/OWEB:ControllerServlet]: Waiting for 66 instance(s) to be deallocated

I'm not sure what this means but if there are 66 instances of the applications controller servlet that could be a clue as to what is going on. There should be only one.

This instance of Tomcat is running only our application. We did not see this behavior with the previous release. We do not see the behavior on any of the three development/test machines.

Along with a new release we moved from Java 1.4 to Java 5.0. The server in question is running Linux. Can anyone suggest diagnostics to tell what is going on? Are there any known scenarios that result in this 'hung' behavior?

Thanks for any guidance,
-=bill