Charl Gerber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just moved my hosting from a provider where I had a
> private Tomcat server with complete control over it to
> a provider that uses Plesk and I share the Tomcat
> server with other users. The provider has no Tomcat
> knowledge in house and the Tomcat service is rarely
> used, so they couldn't help me with this problem.

which version of tomcat?

> I want to create a jdbc datasource for my application.
> If we manually create it in server.xml, the provider
> claims that the changes are overwritten and removed
> every time someone uploads a new .war file. (Is this
> true?)

AFAIK, server.xml is not altered by war file deployments.
Tomcat would need to be restarted in order that those alterations to
server.xml are evaluated.

I also do not want to define the datasource as
> eg a global resource, as it would mean the other users
> of the tomcat server can get access to my database.
>
> I tried to configure the datasource in the context.xml
> of my application and put it in my .war file. This
> works fine on my development server, but when uploaded
> to the Tomcat server with Plesk, a server.xml entry
> for my application is created without the datasource
> settings and I cannot access my database.

What are the details of the entry being made in server.xml?
Is Plesk making these alterations?
What process are you using to upload the WAR?

> How and where can I properly define a datasource for
> my application so that Plesk will set the Tomcat
> configuration correctly?

META-INF/context.xml is the best location I think.

Please provide more details about the tomcat version and the answer to
the questions above.