Ok, my project manager asked me to set up a server with tomcat, apache and ajp
connector. This is the first time I do it and after reading some of the
documentation on the ajp connector I still can't figure out it's purpose. Can
anybody tell me what is it's use? I read

"This is used for cases
  where you wish to invisibly integrate Tomcat 4 into an existing (or new)
  Apache installation, and you want Apache to handle the static content
  contained in the web application"

I don't know if I understand that right. Can anybody give me a simple example?

And one more question. After reading the documentation and making the changes
to the configuration and everything, when I run my application how can I
test/verify that the connector is working? how can I determine if apache is
handling the static content and not tomcat?

10x in advance and sorry for if the question sounds too "newby"