Hi,

I'm trying to implement a solution to log in users to one of our web
apps which runs on Tomcat via cookies to which I've had several false
starts and I'd like to ask some advice on the best way of implementing
this securely.

What I'm trying to achieve is when the user logs in on main site and
clicks the link to the Java calendar, the link will read the cookie
(extracting the user name/password and converting into hex to send back
to the main config files to check if its valid whilst also checking that
they are a member of our service) and then grant access to the
application on success.

I was looking at the JAAS realm since the user information is kept in
what is essentially a flat file db and trying to write a LoginModule
which replicates the existing Perl scripts actions for checking
username/password and membership. AFAIUI, I'd need to write a servlet to
process the cookie before hitting the JAAS realm though. Have I
understood this correctly or can I get the LoginModule to do the
processing (which appears to be implied in the Tomcat manual on Realms)?

Ultimately I will need to be able to log users in via http, https and
the Shibboleth Single Sign On (for which I know there is a JAAS realm).
As I understand it, as long as I have a config which lists all the
various login methods, I should be able to stack these onto one Tomcat,
or have I also misunderstood this?

Many thanks in advance.

Iain

Iain Emsley