Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/bin/java

JRE_HOME or JAVA_HOME should point to a directory, not an executable

Filip

Antonio Rodríguez Anaya wrote:
Hi!

I have problems to start up Tomcat 5.5 and 6.0. I have downloaded core binary distributions and I have followed the instructions.

As a root I have unpacked and moved it to /user/local directory. I have secified the CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME variables. I have set execute permisions to all *.sh files in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/ (chmod ug+x *.sh). I have tried to start up Tomcat but it does not work. First the message is:
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat-5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/tomcat-5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat-5/temp

This is normal, I think, but Tomcat does not work. The catalina.log file shows this error message: /usr/local/tomcat-5/bin/catalina.sh: line 273: /usr/bin/java/bin/java: Not a directory

The catalina.sh file line number 273 is:
 "$_RUNJAVA" $JAVA_OPTS $CATALINA_OPTS \

I understand the value of JAVA_OPTS or CATALINA_OPTS is "/usr/bin/java" and "/bin/java". I think something wrong happends, because I had not set either JAVA_OPTS or CATALINA_OPTS. I have tried to set these variables with the value "-server -Xmx400m", but the situation has not changed. The error message in catalina.log is the same.

I do not understand what happen. Is it possible the problem is for the operation system? My os is Mac os X 10.4.2. Does someone know how I can correct the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Antonio.