I tried with dbcp1.2.2 today and found same issue.

With maxActive=30, maxIdle=30 and minIdle=30, connecitons went upto 120. And
it didn't comeback after 3-4 hrs.

After changing minIdle=0, number of connections were stayed at 30.

Is it a issue related to common pool (I am using common pool 1.3)?

Bhaskar