Am Montag, 29. Oktober 2007 23:33:16 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
> Dale,
>
> BuildSmart wrote:
> >> As for only working on localhost, you need to check the rest of your
> >> Apache httpd and Tomcat configurations: you probably don't have the
> >> right virtual host config on either httpd or Tomcat or both. My guess is
> >> "both".
> >
> > I only have one webapp in Tomcat as localhost and it's on port 8080
> > (with connector on 8009) what more do I need??
>
> So, you have Tomcat configured to support the "localhost" virtual host
> and you expect it to work with other virtual hosts? Apache httpd doesn't
> do this, either. Why would you expect that an incorrect configuration
> would work properly?
>
> > Don't tell me now that I have to add an entry in Tomcat for every
> > virtualhost that wishes to access the webapp, that makes no logical
> > sense to have multiple tomcat virtualhosts pointing to the same
> > webapp/docroot.
>
> Aah, yes... but you're asking all virtual hosts in httpd to point to the
> same Tomcat instance. Why does the symmetric relation not hold for such
> an illogical statement?
>
> Tomcat, like Apache httpd, can be configured to use a default virtual
> host for all requests that do not match any of the explicitly-defined
> virtual hosts. Since you are so familiar with the documentation, I won't
> waste space in this post with the configuration.
>
> > I'm using the mod_jk module and not a bastardized version so if it's not
> > working per your configuration directives then it's the guys who coded
> > mod_jk who are fault and you should bitch to them about it.
>
> I've never had a problem with mod_jk. No complaints required from my
> end. It's possible that mod_jk was written to support only virtual
> hosts, and not JkMount options at the top-level. I'd be surprised at
> this, but there's an easy workaround: use a global virtual host. In any
> event, if you need this global capability (and it sounds like you do),
> try asking for this capability instead of telling the mod_jk folks that
> they are bunch of idiots. You catch more flies...

Actually I had BIG problems with JkMount at a time ... well I think there was
a major flaw in communication between the module and the tomcat vm ... or
somewhere else.  Anyway these problems are thought to be gone in recent
versions (I think).

> In your case, you have discrete virtual hosts. You may have to add
> "JkMount /*.jsp workerX" for each virtual host. It's not insane: it's
> what's required. You have to map DocumentRoot for each VirtualHost
> element. What's wrong with adding this mapping as well.

The virtual host problem can be solved quite easily be apache configuration if
you define you JkMount statements in a simple include file lets call it
jkmount.conf and use them in your virtual host statements:

<VirtualHost bla:80>
#       [...]
include jkmount.conf
#       [...]
</VirtualHost>

> >> No, you said that "JkMount /* workerX" kills Python and Php. Rainer is
> >> asking you to use "JkMount /*.jsp workerX".
> >
> > workerX is not defined anywhere but I'll give it a try to satisfy you.
>
> OMGWTFBBQ. Nearly all of the mod_jk documentation surrounds creating
> workers that connect mod_jk to Tomcat. You should have gotten /that/
> far. You must have a worker, or nothing works. "workerX" is a
> placeholder for the actual worker you want to use. Put your own worker's
> name in there, don't just type "workerX" and complain when it doesn't work.

ouch, yes of course there should be workers.

> > guess that doesn't work either, any more suggestion???
>
> Yes: use the name of the worker that you actually configured (ajp13, as
> per the posted configuration).
>
> > it wouldn't have been so bad but more than a
> > week with incomplete directions hasn't help the frustration level,
> > something is definitely broken if it wont work as people tell me to
> > configure it and as you stated that is how everyone configures it and it
> > works for them so either I'm not getting all of the information or it
> > doesn't work.

No, it just a bit insane.  Nore more then anything else that is done with
Java.