No, just once.  The multicast address is a broadcast address.  It is a
single address.  All servers on the network will listen for it.  You put
the <distributable/> tag in the web.xml of the applications that want to
be clustered.

1. You will need to open the multicast port 45564 for UDP, and the TCP
listen port 4001 for TCP.
2. The network interfaces should be enabled for multicast.
        ifconfig eth0 multicast
3. Create a multicast route for each network interface.
        route add -host 239.255.0.1 dev eth0
(Run these commands as root.)

You can check if multicast is working with,
        ping 239.255.0.1
You should get multiple responses back.

Here is the <Cluster> tag that I am using.  It is slightly modified from
the one on the CAS clustering web page.  (I changed the mcastTTL.)
There is also already a <Cluster> tag in the Tomcat server.xml that you
can uncomment.  You can try either one.

        <Cluster
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"

managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
                 expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
                 useDirtyFlag="true">

            <Membership

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
                mcastAddr="239.255.0.1"
                mcastPort="45564"
                mcastFrequency="500"
                mcastDropTime="3000"
                mcastTTL="250"/>

            <Receiver

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
                tcpListenAddress="10.10.10.96"
                tcpListenPort="4001"
                tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
                tcpThreadCount="6"/>

            <Sender

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
                replicationMode="pooled"/>

            <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.txt;" />

            <ClusterListener
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListener"/>

        </Cluster>