Date sent:              Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:07:25 +0200
From:                   Keijo Salakari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                jsp and php for teaching? How I will configure?
To:                     users@tomcat.apache.org
Send reply to:          Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>

> Hello everybody!
>
> I work Pori college. I teach from 16 up to 20 years girls and boys in
> computer technology.
>
> I teach HTML, css, php, mysql, java, jsp(not yet), server(M$, linux
> and FreeBSD), network, linux, unix and many other computer technology.
>
> I'll have one server for training. Student's use this same server to
> publishing pages and application.
>
> I have installed next program.
> * FreeBSD6.2
> * apache-2.2.6_2
> * apache-tomcat-6.0.14

--snip--

> I have installed Tomcat, but I am not happy with it yet.
>
> I'll believe that I have four possibility.
> 1. Install apache + mod_jk + tomcat + java for jsp and servlet
> training purpose. Apache handle all internet call's. 2. Install apache
> for html and php AND install tomcat fot jsp and servlet. Both answer
> own call's 3. Puy other server and use other for apache and other
> server for jsp. 4. Forget jsp.
>
> I need private(jails?) folder for every student. I need folder to work
> with html and jsp. Example user1 home directory is /usr/user1. There
> he will have public_html directory. Apache will handle  this
> directory. Student could have public_html/jsp directory too. Tomcat
> will handle that directory.
>
> What is best solutions?

Will the server be reachable via port 8080? If so then no need to install
mod_jk.

I would use the user directory feature of tomcat to have tomcat be able to
serve files from
user's public_html directories.

Read:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/host.html

Look in the "User Web Applications" section, it's the last one.

Apache httpd can handle php etc and tomcat can handle servlets,  jsp and any
html pages
needed.

I have simmilar setup for students and faculty.

-Steve O.